Legal Question in Family Law in Oklahoma

big sister

Ill be turning 18 in March and I live on my own with my child. My sibilings recently got legaly taken from my mother but not yet legally adopted out. is there any possibile way that i could get custody of them?

Asked on 1/09/02, 7:20 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jean Sudduth Jean Sudduth, Attorney at law

Re: big sister


I am very impressed with your responsible attitude. I think that what would really be in the best interests of you and your siblings is that they all be adopted by a responsible couple and that you get to visit often and keep the family connection. A few years ago I was in court when one couple adopted six children brothers and sisters. There was not a dry eye in the court. It was an incredible family. If you would like to do the same kind of thing for your siblings I can try to locate the family and see if they know of another great couple. You can reach me at 817 261-2671. Your wish is so very generous, but you have your own child while you are a child yourself. The best thing would be for your siblings to be together with a wonderful couple and you to have the role of big sister.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/02, 2:30 am
James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: big sister

You will have to show to CPS and the court that custody with you is in the best interests of the children. I can see a scenario where that might be difficult for a single, teen-age mother unless you have significant resources. However, even if you can't get custody, visitation privileges with your siblings on a routine schedule where all of you were united might be highly feasible. If money is an issue, contact the State Bar Assoc. to see if there is a pro bono project in your area. Maybe some attorneys can help you with little or no charge. Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 1/10/02, 9:57 am
Gerald R. Yoakum The Practice of Gerald R. Yoakum, P.C. A Full Service Law Firm

Re: big sister

you have a slim chance, depends on your $ situation. I represent alot of people in CPS cases call our office.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/02, 8:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oklahoma