Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Oklahoma

We are tenants living in a home, that is being foreclosed on by the owner. We received a notice, the home will be auctioned on a few days. But we have received anything that states to vacate the premises. What rights do we have?

Asked on 9/03/15, 1:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Graves The Law Office of John H. Graves, PLLC

You should have been served the Petition in the foreclosure action. Usually the foreclosure action will say "Mortgage Company v. John Doe, Jane Doe, Occupants." I assume that you have not been paying rent. If you have, you may have the right to get your money back from the landlord. Because the mortgage company wants money, you may be able to contact them, execute a new lease, and stay in the house. You do not have to leave the home until the sale is CONFIRMED. That usually happens about twenty days or so after the sale happens. You should look up the case on OSCN or ODCR so that you can see if the sale actually happens (they are often put off) and if the confirmation is scheduled and approved. If you want to stay in the home, you definitely need to be proactive in making alternative arrangements. Best of luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/15, 6:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Oklahoma