Legal Question in Family Law in Oregon

Seperation and Inheritance

I have been seperated from my wife for about a year and a half now. I live in Washington State and she lives in Oregon. I am due an inheritance from my mothers death. Probate is currently in Oregon court. Will I be obligated to give her half ?

Asked on 1/20/09, 8:00 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Erin Ramsey In Pacta, PLLC

Re: Seperation and Inheritance

In WA, your inheritance is considered seperate property not community property and therefore she would not be subject to half. Two exceptions would be if you co-mingled your inheritance with community funds (e.g. deposited the money into your joint account), or if the inheritance was given to you and your wife collectively. In these two cases, your wife could argue that she has a one-half interest in the inheritance.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/09, 8:07 pm
Lawrence D. Gorin, Atty. Law Offices of Lawrence Gorin

Re: Seperation and Inheritance

Yes, most likely.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/09, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oregon