Legal Question in Family Law in Oregon

My sister in law has stage 4 cancer inoperable. She has joint custody of her 15 yr old son. He lives with her an sees his real dad on weekends an holidays. The boy wants to stay with step dad an finish his high school days where he's at. Question is what does mom need to do to make sure that the boy gets to stay with step dad if she passes before he is 18?

Asked on 6/22/11, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bonnie Popia Proctor & Popia, LLC

I usually recommend a guardianship in this type of matter. However, biological father will have to agree to the guardianship and its terms. An attorney is usually required in these types of matters.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/11, 10:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oregon