Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Oregon

a single man with no children died intestate. who has the right to publish something he wrote?

Asked on 6/23/11, 9:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin B. Murphy Franchise Foundations, APC

As a Franchise Attorney I can say this is not an intellectual property question. It is a wills and trusts, or probate question. As I recall from my law school days, if someone dies intestate, their property (if unmarried and no children) goes to any brothers or sisters first, and if none, then to parents or grandparents, etc. If there are no blood relatives, then everything goes to the government. Property would include any assets, including unpublished works. Consult with a good business or franchise attorney in your area for specific advice.

Mr. Franchise - Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.

Franchise Foundations, a Professional Corporation

Read more
Answered on 7/01/11, 9:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Oregon