Legal Question in Personal Injury in Oregon

My husband was recently injured at a vacation property in Cannon Beach, Oregon. He stepped off the deck (which was rotten in several places) onto a loose paving stone, which flipped up and resulted in the breaking of his foot. This was a Jones fracture, which is notoriously hard to heal and has been known to cause lasting damage. The home owner's insurance company has agreed to cover medical bills up to $5k no questions asked, which we are quickly blowing through, and offers no support for the months of physical therapy my husband needs, not to mention pain and suffering. For example, I am 39 weeks pregnant and was on bed rest when my husband was injured. Taking care of him/our home/our toddler after the injury resulted in three different preterm labor scares. We also live in a house with 15 stairs, and all showers and bedrooms are upstairs. Lots of inconvenience and misfortune as a result of the accident.

We don't have any personal cash to hire a lawyer with, but we could certainly use a good recommendation for a personal injury attorney in Oregon State (we live in Washington) that might take the case and have legal fees included in the settlement. We took excellent photos of the deck, the paving stone, the injury, and have saved all doctors invoices and xrays, as well as a journal of time lost and personal challenges due to the injury. If we can find a lawyer to help us, we'd be extremely grateful!

Asked on 10/29/13, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

I do not handle cases like this, but the law firm of Kafoury McDougal in Portland does. You can reach them at 503-224-2647 or [email protected] They provide an initial consultation visit for you at no charge, and they usually take cases on a "contingency" basis, which means that you do not have to pay them, unless they succeed in obtaining money for you from the entity that harmed you. So the attorney fees are indeed taken out of the settlement or verdict.

But you say you are "blowing through" $5,000 provided by the insurance company. If you signed an agreement to settle the claim, then you have no use for an attorney. The $5,000 is all you get, if that is what you agreed to.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/13, 4:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Oregon