Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Pennsylvania

A judgement was past against my company. Do I deal directly with the plaintiff to satisfy this judgement or do I proceed through the magistrates office.

Asked on 1/09/18, 9:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Teitell Richard K. Teitell, Esquire, P.C.

If you don't want to appeal, you need to pay the judgment directly to the plaintiff. Technically the plaintiff has 30 days from payment in which to file with the court a document we call a Praecipe to Satisfy Judgment. The local magistrate courts sometimes have a specific form they prefer. I would contact the court clerk & ask what form they have for the plaintiff to sign to verify the judgment was paid by you as the defendant. It might be available on the internet- I'm not sure. Somehow obtain the form. I would then contact the plaintiff & either negotiate a reduced amount or just pay the judgment & provide the plaintiff with the form filled out for the plaintiff to sign. Request the plaintiff to sign it & return it to you (maybe provide a self addressed envelope) & when you get it back file it with the court. Basically you want to make sure there's verification that you paid the judgment. If you mail the payment include a cover letter (keep a copy) that per your agreement or per the judgment a check is enclosed payable to the plaintiff in $____ & request that the enclosed court form be signed & returned to you in the enclosed envelope. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 1/09/18, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Pennsylvania