Legal Question in Personal Injury in Pennsylvania

My son was in a bar and a fight broke out. My son was hit on the side of his face with a piece of flying broken glass. The bar manager offered him free drinks etc., as he was bleeding down his face. My son calls the police who come and right a report and suggest that he be seen in the emergency room. My son goes to the emergency room and has his face glued shut and a tetanus shot. The bill for the hospital was $1430.00, he missed 2 days of work and his clothing and shoes were ruined.

I sent the owner a certified letter asking for compensation. The letter was returned and the mail carrier said that they do not accept mail at the bar. Hmm. I look on the internet and find an email address and forward the letter there. A couple of days later the owner replies to the email and says to call him. I called him and he was very nice and said no problem that he would send a check out by Friday. The check never came so I text him. He stated twice in the two different texts that the check was being sent (I have copies of the text).....the check never came and I kept texting him asking him where it was. He then replies to contact his insurance company. I did that and gave them the info and they denied the claimed. I send him another text saying that if this isn't settled by Friday that I was going to take him to court. He replied with, "have your lawyer contact the insurance company".....what?? The claim was denied! I am done playing games with him as it has now been 2 months and I have received 2nd notices on the hospital bills. My son has a permanent scar on his face and he now gets headaches. Is this something to sue him over to get the money or should we just file at the local district court? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 3/18/13, 4:06 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Kenny Thomas D. Kenny, Esquire

You need to retain counsel. You are getting jerked around. Email or call if you want to discuss

Read more
Answered on 3/18/13, 4:14 pm

Richard Senker Senker Law Office

Yes, your son needs an experienced injury atty. Call me and I'll be able to give you some names of attys in your area.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/13, 4:44 pm
Justin Gearty Law Office of Justin C Gearty Jr

As the previous posts mention, it would be in his best interest to retain an attorney asap. He may be able to recover for more than just the medical bills and lost wages. The scar to the face may be something that he could recover for as well. More information would be needed to better assess your claim, but your odds of success will be greatly enhanced by retaining an attorney.

My office is located in the Lancaster area with another office in the York area. My firm does also practice out of Dauphin County. My firm only charges 29% plus costs for cases such as yours instead of the 33-40% that some firms charge. We also offer free consultations.

If you would like to schedule a consultation, please call my office at the number below or feel free to send me an email.

Justin C. Gearty Jr., Esquire

Owner and Managing Attorney

Gearty Law Offices

Phone: 717-490-6325

Email: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 3/18/13, 5:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania