Legal Question in Technology Law in Rhode Island

Email Threat

I have received e-mail threats from my ex-boyfriend. He currently has a sex tape that he made when he was 17 and I was 16. He has threaten to sell the tape. I have copies of the emails that he had sent to me. Since he made the tape, does that mean he owns the right to it? Do I have any rights to the tape? Is it illegal for him to sell the tape to anyone, or for him to try and sell it to me? Do I have any legal recourse? I just want the tape so I can destroy it. Thank you for your assistance.

Asked on 3/06/03, 11:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Patricia Joyce Law Office of Patricia M. Joyce

Re: Email Threat

You should contact the local or state police immediately.

What threats is he making? Do you mean he is telling you

he will sell it or publish it to embarass you unless

you give him money or do something he wants you to do?

In any event, this is a matter that sounds like extortion,

as well as violation of one or more laws regarding sexual

abuse of a child (anyone under 18).

Do not let him have this power over you. If you are

unwilling or afraid to contact the police, you can contact

a women's resource center or shelter and they may be able

to help you. They are located in the Providence Garrahy courthouse

and in other places around the state.

Another option you have is to contact the RI Bar Association Lwyer Referral Service, who may

be able to assign a pro bono attorney to assist you.

Please take action so that you can this behind you.


Patricia M. Joyce

Read more
Answered on 3/07/03, 12:44 am
Jules D'Alessandro D'Alessandro & Wright

Re: Email Threat

You certianly have recourse in this matter. If you were sixteen in the tape and engaged in sexual activity the tape itself may be considered illegal child pornography and therfore contraband in and of itself. In that case this may be an issue best handled by the police. However I do not have enough information to make any recommendation at this time.

If you are currently over the age of eighteen you may contact this office, otherwise if you are not eighteen or older then you should have your parent or legal guardian contact this office.

Jules J. D'Alessandro

D'Alessandro Law Associates, Inc.

1515 Smith Street

North Providence, RI 02911



E-Mail: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 3/07/03, 5:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in Rhode Island