Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

bad attorney representation

What can I do about the attorney that was paid to represent me in divorce proceedings and he wasn't even in court with me, therefore the financial part of my divorce was never settled. It's been 1 yr and 10 months and I'm still having to pay my ex's loan off. This attorney has cost me over $9,000 that I can't to pay by not doing his job.

Asked on 10/16/00, 11:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: bad attorney representation

Your first step is to try and resolve it between you and the attorney. I would suggest making an appointment, and sitting down to discuss it. If you paid him on an hourly basis, your entitled to an accounting of all the work performed and the amount of fees earned. If for some reason you've already tried that, or your not comfortable meeting with him, then you can try sending him a letter outlining your complaints and ask him to justify his fees and work in writing. You can also ask him in the letter to refund and fees that you feel you have coming. If all else fails, you can contact the state bar association and they can look into it for you. However, I don't recommend that unless your absolutely sure that your not getting what you have coming, and you have exhausted every other avenue.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/00, 1:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina