Legal Question in Criminal Law in Tennessee

I took a plea deal in Tennessee for a registry violation. I had a previous detainer in ky for the same charge. I was extradited to ky where I am still awaiting completion of my court date here to take a deal. Tennessee meanwhile has charged me with non compliance. What do I need to do to fix that since I was extradited and haven't even finished legal proceedings in ky.

Asked on 9/17/19, 4:31 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

If you are in custody (jailed) in Kentucky then you have a good excuse for not checking in with your Tennessee Sex Offender monitoring officer. It sounds like you just need to write to your Tennessee officer and let him or her know where you are. You can be violated for not reporting when there are men with guns at the door keeping you from leaving Kentucky and reporting in Tennessee.

But if you are not actually in custody in Kentucky (for example, if you are out on bond) then you are not excused from reporting to your Tennessee officer even if there are court proceedings still pending in Kentucky.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/19, 8:12 am

That should read "You CAN'T be violated for not reporting ...

Read more
Answered on 9/18/19, 6:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Tennessee