Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

i have a question and could really use some advice, please. I was living with this female in Odessa tx and i thought she co-signed on a brand new truck for me. Fast forward 9 months later i was driving through Waco tx and i was pulled over for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and 4 gms of hash. Now i made all the payments and was late on the last 2. she got the truck while I was in jail and everything i owned was in it and she will not answer or give anything back. now i have court in 2 wks i don't know what to do. This kinda sounds like it should be a civil case and common law divorce NOT FELONY CHARGES WACO VS ME

Asked on 2/12/20, 8:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wes Ball Wes Ball Law

Based on what you have written, I would want to know what evidence is there that you had any rights to the truck. Was it purchased under your name? Do you have cancelled checks showing you made payments toward the loan? If the truck is totally in her name and there is zero evidence, other than your word that she was letting you use it, then that could be a problem. If there are independent witnesses that know she got the truck for you, that would be helpful. Failing to pay is not going to be the problem as that is only civil.

A Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist would be able to sort this out and present your best defense. This is not a do-it-yourself project as UUMV is a State jail felony carrying 180 days to 2 years in a State jail as a possible punishment. Possession of the hashish is also a felony if it is truly hashish and not marihuana.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/20, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas