Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I have a suspended license from driving while my license was invalid(wasn't aware of it being invalid.) The judge said that I just need to apply for an occupational drivers license but I have no clue how to do that. Do I need an attorney to do that?

Asked on 10/01/11, 9:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

First, contact DPS to determine what you need to do in order to get your license reinstated. (It could have been rendered invalid because of surcharges, too many tickets, tickets for no insurance, child support issues, DWI conviction, drug conviction, etc.) You should have received notice of the suspension. If you did not receive notice, it is not a defense BUT, you need to make certain that they have your correct address.

If you get it reinstated, there will be no need for an occupational license. If the license cannot be immediately reinstated or has been further suspended because of a conviction for DWLI so there is some time that you must wait, go ahead and dow whatever it takes so that when the time runs, you can have the license reinstated immediately.

If you need an occupational license, I strongly suggest you hire a lawyer to represent you. There is paperwork involved that a lawyer cannot just tell you how to do because of the complication. You will need an SRI 22 and probably 6 months of insurance paid up. Whether the judge will actually grant an occupational, even though he mentioned it to you, will depend greatly on your driving record.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/11, 11:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas