Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

About 6 years ago my husband adopted my son. My ex relinqueshed his parental rights, part of doing that was an agreement that his mother have visitation twice a year. She has no interest in my son and never did, she only comes because my ex tells her to. It has always been like that. My question is, my son is now 16 and said he doesn't want her to come visit anymore. Can I just tell her not to come? There was no end date in the court papers for her visitation. I don't want to be in contempt by not following the agreement. Please let me know.

Thank you.

Asked on 12/23/10, 5:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

If you were ordered to do something, then you can be held in contempt. However, the person would need to file a lawsuit to hold you in contempt. That takes money and time. She would have to be the one to do it.

In order to actually give you legal advice, I would have to read the wording in the document.

I suggest you go back to the attorney that represented you at the time. He/She would know the case best. If that attorney is not available, then any experienced family law attorney should be able to sit down with you and with a certified copy of the decree be able to assist you.

I hope this information is helpful.

[email protected] or 713-847-6000

Read more
Answered on 12/28/10, 8:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas