Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Should child custody papers be filed

My daughter who at the age of 17 had a child.My daughter and grandson have lived with me since the child was born. There is no dispute of who the father is. The father comes around and gives her a little money.My question is do we need to do custody papers to establish her rights,as the custodial parent? Because when he gets mad he says get the my baby ready I am coming to get him. What rights do we have to prevent that?

Asked on 4/01/02, 11:52 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brandon Manus Manus Law Office

Re: Should child custody papers be filed

From the facts you have given me, I can't determine whether the father's parentage has been legally determined. If it has, then he could pick up your grandson, but if it has not then he has no right to. I recommend that you retain an attorney to establish parentage, establish who has custody, visitation rights, and child support. If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, please call me at 817 763 0600.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/02, 1:22 pm
Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Should child custody papers be filed

Your daughter needs to go to court and get some court ordered child support and some court ordered visitation for the father. He should not be able to "drop in" whenever he feels like it.

He will also be ordered to carry the child on some health insurance policy.

Best of luck.

If you live in the Houston area, please give me a call at 713-847-6000. Be sure to let my office know you found me on

Read more
Answered on 4/01/02, 4:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas