Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

child support

My husband is being denied visitation with his children by his ex-wife, and is pursuing him for back child support in the amount of several thousand dollars. I recently learned that my icome does not count for purposes of calculating child support. Does this mean that I am not responsible for his child support and that the system cannot garnish my income for what he owes? I also recently found out that he is not responsible for providing for my children from my previous marriage. In the same way, does this mean I am not financially responsible for his children from his previous marriage?

Asked on 3/26/02, 7:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: child support

I assume that you live in Texas. If you don't, then ignore my answer.

You are not responsible for his child support.

They cannot garnish your wages for his debt.

If you both file a joint bankruptcy, his debt of child support is not dischargeable.

Be advised that his debt will eventually show up on his credit report and will probably affect anything that you try to buy together - for example, a house, joint credit cards or a car.

As you pointed out, he is not responsible for your children from a previous marriage.

I hope my explanation helps.

Best of luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/26/02, 9:09 pm
Gerald R. Yoakum The Practice of Gerald R. Yoakum, P.C. A Full Service Law Firm

Re: child support

You are not responsible for his child support, they can not dock your check. Call our office if you are in the Houston area and we will help.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/02, 9:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas