Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

child custody

First off can you represent yourself in child custody and how do you go about it

Hello I am in desperate need of a pro bono lawyer for my fiance, her ex husband has custody of her kids, she allowed him custody because he beat her and she left him and had no place to live at the time, she would now like custody and has over 120 minutes of horrible voicemails and audio of him and police reports, my old attorney Matthew Riek in arlington texas suggested looking for a pro bono lawyer and gave his legal opinion that based on what we have it would be a simple simple possibly even 1-3 visits to the court to get her emergency custody, the court is in dallas texas, please tell me that you are aware of someone in the dfw area that could help her, I fear her kids are in danger, they are 13 and 11, Thank you very much

Asked on 2/01/08, 5:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

TC Langford Langford Law Office

Re: child custody

Has she contacted North Texas Legal Services? Or Catholic Charities? Or any of the abused women shelters for referrals?

In my experience, there is no such thing as a simple custody case. Three visits to court, means hearings, trial and preparation.

There are many attorneys who are willing to work with an initial retainer and payment plans, me included. An attorney who is not on salary with an agency, is unlikely to be willing to work without compensation. If both of you are employed, then you should be able to hire a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/08, 6:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas