Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My girlfriend is 18 still in high school with a disability. Her mom is kind of cruel and controlling to a point I'd say is close to if not directly verbal and mental abuse as she scared to say anything to her mom about how she wants to be treated and what she wants to do and I've heard her mom yell at her and back her into a corner, and she told us that we have to live beside her when we get married or I can get out of the relationship right then. I feel helpless because don't know if her mom has power of attorney over her or with or without it, what I can do to help. I want to know what I can do or if possible can she move out, and if so what all we need to get so we can get married later. As the problem is she hasn't gotten her ID and her mom has all her legal documents, insurance papers, ect. in a lock box 24/7, I just don't know what I can do to help her here?

Asked on 2/03/20, 8:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Daley KoonsFuller PC

I'm sorry to hear that your girlfriend is enduring such difficult circumstances. If her mom (or anyone else) has *GUARDIANSHIP* over her, then your girlfriend may be stuck in that situation. She would probably know if anyone has been appointed as her guardian by the court.

If there is no guardianship, then at the age of 18, she can live where she wants. Here is a web site that lists the requirements for an ID in Texas.

If she cannot get enough documents together to satisfy the requirements, she may have to sue her mother to turn them over. That would be unfortunate and costly, but I wanted to offer it as a last resort if she can't satisfy the proof-of-identity requirements to get an ID.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/20, 12:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas