Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

my husband was divorced in florida and had 1 son to pay child support to. he moved to texas when we got married over 10 years ago and son is 25 now. we sent payments but not what was ordered due to his status change in finances. we received a letter from florida child support saying he owned over 25,000 in back child support. what are our options on this?

Asked on 2/08/10, 1:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

When your husband's status changed, he should have filed a motion to modify the child support. Usually court orders don't change until a judge changes them.

Your husband need's to hire a Florida family law attorney to discuss his options.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/10, 1:38 pm
Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

In addition to Keith's comments, I would encourage you to talk to an estate planning attorney. The A G can intervene in the probate of his estate if he dies without a will.

The money he owes for child support becomes the obligation of his estate upon his death.

Since you are married to him, this could impact you dramatically.

Also, I would not have any joint bank accounts since the A G can "hit" any account with his social security number attached to it -- without notice!

Additionally, the IRS will withhold any refunds and send them to the AG office.

If you want a consultation, I charge $1 per minute to talk.

You really need to think about all your options and your future.

When your husband draws social security, part of the money will be withheld to go to his past due child support.


Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 10:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas