Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My husband and I recently started paying for private school tuition for his two children from a previous marriage. The tuition is $7,500 a year per child, not including uniforms, lunches, and extra-curriculars. In the state of Texas, can we legally lower child support since we are paying so much for private school now? His ex-wife has exclusive right to the kids' school, and private school was her idea (even though she can't afford it) after the kids started doing poorly in public school.

Asked on 10/13/11, 11:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You can ask a Judge to modify your child support obligation (make it lower) as long as you're paying the high tuition. I'd file that motion soon. Go ahead and tell Mom you're planning to do it, and ask her if she objects to a decrease in her child support.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/11, 11:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas