Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am trying to sign my rights as a father over to the mother, how do I go about this process? Do I need an actual lawyer or can I just know the legal side and go about it that way?

Asked on 9/04/13, 9:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

I'm not sure what you mean by "sign my rights as a father over to the mother". That is not a legal term in the State of Texas.

I recommend that you meet with a family law attorney in person and discuss this matter.

If you want to try to terminate your parental rights in the State of Texas, you need to know that it is very difficult to do this even if you want to voluntarily do it. Most judges do not do it just because you want to do so. But you need to meet with an attorney that knows the judge in your county and discuss the details in person. Perhaps the judge would do so in your county. Even so, it is a very technical matter and not something that is quick and easy to do. The paperwork is very technical and the wording is exact.

If you don't want to visit the child, then just visit. No one can make you see the child and/or participate in the child's life if you don't want to. You will have to continue to pay child support and health insurance. But you do not have to be a "parent" to the child. You can walk away in all parenting role except money. The State of Texas (legislature) wants parents to be financially responsible for the children that they brought into the world. The TX legislature on behalf of the citizens of the State of Texas do not want kids on government assistance (food stamps, welfare) if possible.

Look on this website and on to find an attorney in your area.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 10:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas