Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

In Texas do I file for divorce first are seek the attorney general for child support?

Asked on 7/20/13, 8:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

If you file for divorce then the child support will be included in the divorce process.

If you do the c.s. first then the TX A G will still be involved in your divorce and must sign-off on the divorce. Once they get involved, they will be "involved" in your family's life "forever". I suspect that you won't enjoy that! I usually recommend that you avoid the TX A G office if at all possible.

So, I'd avoid going to the TX A G. It won't speed up your divorce and in fact could slow down the final divorce since you will have to have someone in the TX A G office "sign" the Final Decree of Divorce.

It appears you live in Harris County, TX.

I recommend attorney Patricia Bushman at 713-807-9405. She takes payment plans. I rent space in her office. Her first appointment is free. Tell her that I sent you!

You can always email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

My office phone is 713-847-6000.

I only mediate these days.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/20/13, 9:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas