Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Transferring full custody

Long story so I'll cut to the point. All started in the state of Oklahoma. In 2003, I got myself into some trouble. I turned full custody over to the father--child support was never changed. Regardless if he ever paid his part anyways. He only stayed with him 2 months until I had my own place again. I made sure they all had food. In 2004, my son and I moved to Texas. I had papers drawn up for joint custody & no child support from either parent; I was told if both parents agreed it was ok--judge never signed. We only stayed inTexas 6 months. But have recently moved back to Texas again permanently. My son's father still has full custody of him ON PAPER. He was just sentenced to two years in prison. So I want to know how do I get full custody back since we live in 2 different states? And can I get back child support from 2003 up until the time he went to jail??? Please help.

Asked on 10/07/07, 1:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Re: Transferring full custody

From your post it appears that the original order is the only order in effect, and it is out of Oklahoma, and he will be going to jail in OK.

If so, you need to file to enforce a foreign decree, and have it modified in the Texas court. You will need a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/07, 12:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas