Legal Question in Medical Leave in Texas

My stepson came to live with us 4 months ago. He is a drug addict and was addicted to Oxycontin. Now he is still buying other codeine based pills and thinks there is nothing wrong! We have tried to get him to go to rehab but he is 23 and refuses. He has stolen all my gold and we have been to the pawn shop three times since he came here. He is sending himself back to Tennessee where all the trouble started. He already told his dad he will get more drugs there. We do not want him here again without help. What can we legally do to keep him from just walking back in here and starting the abuse and stealing all over again. We are at our wits end!

Asked on 5/26/10, 5:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

The answer to your question is painfully simple: Change the locks on your house, and tell the stepson that he can't stay with you ever again. Put in in writing (send him a paper letter).

Think about it. What would you do if I were a thieving drug addict, and I showed up at your front door and wanted to live with you?

Read more
Answered on 5/26/10, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in Texas