Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

A few days ago i was severly assaulted by my father. He assaulted me because he was drunk and wanted to fight. I never hit him back. He punched me in the mouth and eye, My mouth is cut up and infected and my eyeball is bleeding. I cannot afford to get medical treatment. I did not call the police that night because i was scared of becoming homeless. What are my options? Can i Sue him? I lost my job because of the severe embarassment involved with my injures and cannot get medical treatment because i have no money and cannot afford the resulting debt.

Asked on 11/24/12, 5:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Yes, you can sue him for assault. You may have a problem getting a lawyer to take the case on a contingent fee basis.

The first question a lawyer would ask you would be: Does this man have any assets that could be seized if you obtained a large judgment? Getting a judgment is step one; step two is collecting it.

If you don't have medical records (I assume that you took photos of the injuries), the defense lawyer will ask: If you were hurt so badly, why didn't you get medical help?

Read more
Answered on 11/25/12, 12:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas