Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

If a son of a friend who died in a crash driven a motorcycle under my name can sued me?

I have a friend who ask me to be a co/signer to buy a Try-cycle Vanderhall. I did help him and went there while we were waiting on the dealership the seller told me he didn’t qualify and he pleaded me to have it under my name until we transferred to him. Because we were there for hours I accepted, his aunt was there that day. There he promised that we will only use it locally in Dallas and he will be in charge of the insurance. He took the vehicle to San Antonio without My knowledge and had a single crash and died. Luckily he was the only fatality and because the vehicle was under my name at the time I had to fill for bankruptcy because he didn’t pay the insurance last month. His current wife knows about that and there is no issues with that, but he had an adult son from a previous relationship that is saying that is going to sued me.

Asked on 4/16/22, 8:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Stephens Stephens & Stephens

The negligence, in this case, was the driver's actions. Not you. The cause of the wreck was the driver, Not you. Also, the lawsuit against you would surely fail.

Under Texas "Wrongful Death" statute, only the following can bring a wrongful death case: Spouse, Parents, and children of the deceased. Brothers have no standing

under the Act to sue. It would be dismissed unless he was the Administrator of the Estate, but in that case he would get no money under the law.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/22, 9:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas