Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Texas

My mother and I purcashed a home in 1995 (co-borrowers). I signed a deed over to her in 2006 since I was no longer living there. She just passed away and willed the house to my brother. I called the bank to find out if the acct still has my name on it and it does. I am concerned that if he defaults on the loan, it will hit my credit. What steps should I take to protect myself?

Asked on 12/13/10, 9:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

You are correct, your credit can be hurt if your brother fails to make payments. He should refinance to get your name off of the loan.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/10, 9:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Texas