Legal Question in Social Security Law in Texas

Had daughter out of wedlock. Father wouldn't pay support. When child was age 5, he started paying. Later, I married. Legally changed daughters name but did not do adoption. Spouse subsequently passed away. I took all records, etc. to SSA office for verification. Received benefits for mentioned child.

I am told I am wrong to receive child support and survivor benefits?

(I've never remarried).

Asked on 12/19/13, 5:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

When you applied to the SSA office for benefits, did you tell them everything? Did you disclose all relevant facts?

If you did, then it's okay to receive the money.

Are you receiving survivor benefits for YOU or for the child? SSA doesn't pay benefits for the dead person's stepchild.

I strongly suggest that you write a letter to your SSA office and tell them very clearly that your child is not the child of the deceased person. Keep a copy of the letter. Put a date on it.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/13, 9:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Texas