Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

What can I claim against my parents trust pertaining to mileage, labor, and meals as the non-executor? My brother is the executor of the trust which has been probated but I am the only one cleaning up the property and dwelling, having made several trips. My siblings have abandoned the contents but I have been able to sell most of the items, with their permission through yard sales and on-line yard sale sights. I am keeping an itemized list of my expenses to includes mileage, meals, packing material, and miscellaneous expenses in addition to the itemized list of items kept or sold. I plan on handing the money earned from the sales and my expenses over to the executor.

Asked on 11/14/16, 9:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arthur Geffen Arthur H. Geffen, P.C.

Unless the executor has engaged you to do the things you describe, you are a volunteer. As such, you are not entitled to bill the estate. You may be able to demand payment based upon the value of the services you rendered, but unless the executor agrees with you, you are going to need to sue the estate.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/16, 9:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas