Legal Question in Criminal Law in Utah

My neighbor has been tellng people that he is going to shoot me in the head with his 45 with hollow point bullets he has told 6 people and they told me cause of being concern of his behavior, I have to have all my window closed up my porch has privacy blinds up and only go outside when he is not home, he carries 2 hand guns on him at all times openly, my friends have even told me I need to call the police and I have they tell me he has to act on the Statement...Shoot me or say the threat to my face. Can I sue him for Emtional Distress

Asked on 12/01/16, 4:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Jackson Brian K. Jackson, LLC

You can get a protective order against him. If it is entered, then it would be a crime if he tried contacting you. If you sued for emotional distress, you still have to suffer some kind of injury. In all civil claims, you are seeking for damages. So if you have been injured, then you could have an action against him. However, to prove damages, you would most likely need a doctors note or a prior injury that was exacerbated that can be proven through a doctor or therapist.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/16, 1:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Utah