Legal Question in Family Law in Utah

A friends abusive husband sais the house is in his name and won't allow his Wife of over 30 years enter to get her things. I saw him hitting her as she tried to enter and reported it to the Sheriff. He said husband was in the right and did not think he did much wrong. He said he would do the same thing. This can't be right. She lives in Utah. He said if the title is in the Husbands name she has no right to enter the home. He also played down the hitting. My Wife saw the bruising from the 12-14 short hits.

Asked on 6/26/13, 4:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

Wife can get a protective order from the nearest DIstrict Court, and get orders allowing her to get her belongings. She is probably entitled to at least 50% of the equity in the home, and possibly other support.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/13, 7:48 am

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

She should immediately seek a protective order and file for divorce if she is intent on getting out of the marriage. I'm not sure why the Sheriff Deputy would say those things. It might be worth talking to his supervisors.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/13, 10:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Utah