Legal Question in Sexual Harassment in Utah

I live in Wyoming and my girlfriend lives in California. I'm 17, and she's 13. I love her to death, and she loves me too, but I'm scared that when I turn 18 (She'll be 14 at this time) it will be illegal. I'm not going to do anything sexual with her, I just want to be with her. Will it be illegal for me to date her?

Asked on 11/29/12, 1:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

I have my own children (5), 2 adopted children; and have been involved with many foster children, some of whom were in your situation. I have worked in the Juvenile Courts on many cases. I know what I am talking about. Please consider the following carefully.

You are both children and are not mature enough to make commitments that usually result in an early pregnancy. You are not old enough to be able to rent an apartment, and getting a decent job will be a nightmare because of your age and lack of education/training. Do not go to California to date this child. Because you are almost an adult you could easily be found to be a predator, a child abuser or even guilty of statutory rape. I know you think you are in love, but trust me on this - you are way too young to make this kind of commitment. If you love this girl you need to be able to care for her. Get your education, grow up and get prepared for adulthood BEFORE you make this kind of commitment. If this is true love you both can wait until you can be fully prepared and responsible for your life - and the lives of any children you may have.

Read more
Answered on 11/29/12, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Sexual Harassment Law questions and answers in Utah