Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

I have a question regarding an incident that occurred recently. December of last year me and my boyfriend moved into an apartment and agreed to split everything half. Everything worked out well, we had no problems, no fights. June of last year he got relocated by his job but still agreed to pay his full amount that he had been paying until I moved out. We decided to break the lease, and we agreed to pay the fee together. The fee was close to 1,600 and he was in full agreement that we were both going to pay half. He assured me that just because he moved he was not going to put me and my brother in jeopardy because the lease was in our names. Our relationship continued, we would both visit each other each week because he was only an hour and a half away. Then out of nowhere one day he disappeared. I tried to contact him and his phone was off, I called his job he was never available. I even visited his sister's home where he was staying and they claimed that he was not available. I was completely blind sided because the last time we spoke there were no issues, and everything was perfect. So I continued on with my life and did not hear a word from him for about a little over a month. Then I decided to go to his job to comfront him because I still have this 1,600 bill waiting to be paid. I found him at work he had little to say but he did agree that he would still pay me. He asked for my account info and I texted it to him. He stated that he was going to get me the money on his next paycheck. It has been almost 2 months since then and I have not received anything. He recently texted me and told me to leave him alone and never contact him again. What do you think I should do in this situation? Do I have grounds to sue him? I just really want him to learn that he cannot just walk out of peoples lives and away from his responsibility with no consequences or explaination.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.


Asked on 11/28/11, 3:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, Ashleigh, sue him in the appropriate small claims court.

Read more
Answered on 11/28/11, 5:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia