Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Wording for a name change

I am working on the paperwork to change my name back to my maiden name after a divorce. It was not changed at the time of the divorce and I wish it to be changed now.

In addition, I want to change my middle name to the nickname I have be called by since I was a child.

To save money, because I haven't any, I am preparing the paperwork myself. I have samples from the court and know how to follow the paper work to type out the Order and Petition, but I do not know how to word the changes.

First change will be from my married last name back to my maiden name.

Second change will be changing my middle name to a new middle name.

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much in advance.

Asked on 3/19/02, 11:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beard Attorney at Law

Re: Wording for a name change

May I suggest that you keep it simple?

Try saying: "I wish to change my name from Sara Jane Doe Smith to Sara Fawn Doe." That should be clear enough.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/19/02, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia