Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

my husband told me he was taking car of taxes.. but i have now found back statements where he has been removing all ones from act and sending over seas. He told me that he plans to hurt me and leave me with this huge payback . we have been married 17 yrs... he told me that he married me to get all he could from this country and now that he has money in the bank and built a home there ..there is no longer any need for me. What can I do?

Asked on 7/22/17, 9:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Jonathon A. Moseley

Well, this is complicated. This are issues normally handled as part of a full-blown divorce. I don't know if that is what you want, but but I assume that it is.

Normally if you filed for divorce, you would need to be living separate and apart for 1 year.

If not, you would file for separate maintenance.

Either way, you would then file for an injunction to stop any waste of marital assets of that kind.

There would be a pendente lite hearing -- which is a temporary, interim order while the divorce is pending.

The court would then hear an equitable distribution trial on how to divide up assets and liabilities.

As far as the taxes go, the IRS has an "innocent spouse" process. You want to notify them that your spouse has mishandled the taxes and to separate your taxes from his in the IRS handling and processing. They will work with you if you file the right forms.

Where are you located? If I can help you with a divorce or intermediate motions in the Northern Virginia area, let me know.

Try to get him to talk in front of witnesses, even those listening to a speaker phone conversation, or by email. Don't argue. Don't tell him what you are going to do. Just try to get him talking to admit these things in writing or in front of witnesses. Witnesses who will come to court with you.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/17, 9:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia