Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Virginia

I have recently moved out of a two bedroom apartment i shared with a roommate. While living there my roommate dogs torn up the carpet in one of the bedroom. She said she will get it fixed but never did. She also didnt pay for the pet fee required by the rental complex. Now the rental management is charging us for the damages and the pet fee. My roommate and I dont longer talk. and she is refusing to pay. How do I get these charges out my name and make her soley responsible for the fees her dogs made

Asked on 9/29/10, 11:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You are unlikely to ever "get these charges out {of your} name" since your name

is on the lease and the landlord is going to want to hold someone responsible for the damages and the pet fee.

Your only feasible remedy likely will be to sue this former roommate in small claims court for reimbursement for whatever you end up being

required to "fork over" to the landlord, so to speak, in her behalf.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/10, 2:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Virginia