Legal Question in Personal Injury in Virginia

I built a home in a rural county in Virginia 10 years ago. Three years ago my neighbor decided to start raising German Shepard puppies. His dogs are within 350 feet of my property and bark constantly, especially between 11pm and 7am. My family and I can't sleep at night and the constant barking is destroying our health and keeping us from enjoying our property. There are no barking dogs laws in my County and our efforts to enact one have been fruitless. Can I sue my neighbors for compensation and to stop the barking dog problem.

Asked on 3/29/16, 5:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, you could send written notice to these neighbors regarding their dog problem and request that they

take appropriate action to correct it or you will have to consider initiating appropriate legal action

against them.

And, if the problem persists, (irrespective of the fact that apparently there are no local ordinances regarding such barking) I believe you could sue them in your local general district court for

maintaining a private nuisance which substantially interferes with your right of quiet enjoyment

of your property to which you are entitled by law.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/16, 8:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Virginia