Legal Question in Personal Injury in Virginia

How do I file a lawsuit for an auto accident without an attorney in Virginia?

Asked on 7/27/17, 8:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You could file what's called a Warrant in Debt in your local general district court for damages up to $25K or a Complaint in the circuit court for any amounts which exceed this amount against the person(s) and/or entity responsible

for causing this accident and the damages which you incurred therefrom.

However, doing this pro se, i.e., representing yourself in such a matter

would not be advisable even for an attorney let alone a layperson such

as yourself, and a far better approach if you lack the funds to hire a

lawyer to represent you would be to find one who would be willing

to undertake the task on a contingency fee basis, meaning you would

agree in writing to pay the attorney a percentage basis of your award

(or settlement) for damages (typically 1/3) or if the case were not

successful, then you would owe nothing to this attorney other than the court costs in filing the case and, perhaps, a few incidental expenses involved with initiating the case in the appropriate court.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/17, 8:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Virginia