Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

If my husband co-signs a mortgage (in Texas) with his brother, as a wife of my husband (we live in VA) am I also responsible for the Debt of this mortgage?

Asked on 4/30/20, 2:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

No. Community property law only applies if you live in Tecas or another community property state. With the exception of "necessaries" (necessary and emergency medical care), each spouse is only responsible for his or her own debts.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/20, 3:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia