Legal Question in DUI Law in Washington

Hi, I got cited for underage drinking. I think actual charge was possession of alcohol (at a public part & we were underage). My friends and I were at a park to celebrate one of my friends coming back to visit us. I was 0.038 and I am 19years old. Police officers told us that because we've never got in trouble before, we would just have to do the things that court tells us to do -- he said, it will be like a slap on the wrist type deal. ( I was not driving)

We are all in college and I am wondering (a) having this on my record will jeopardize my financial aid / scholarship status. And, (b) will this be on my record and prevent me from getting a job later on? Also, what can I expect to get from court hearing -- like a ticket, having to do community service or alcohol classes?

Thank you for your help

Asked on 7/20/11, 2:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Baner Baner & Baner

You'll want to get in touch with the local prosecutor and see if they are offering any alternatives to convictions (Stipulated order of continuance is one possible option). You'll want to avoid any convictions if at all possible, but I don't believe federal loans for education would be in jeopardy, but I'd have to look into that to be sure.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/11, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Washington