Legal Question in DUI Law in Washington

My husband has a Oregon drivers license and was charged with a DUI in Washington (where we live now on my military orders) in 2013. He went to court early in 2014 and the court basically told him his license was suspended UNTIL he got a "blow and go" for 4 months and SR22 insurance. Long story short, he still hasn't tried to get his license back until now. Meanwhile he has NOT driven at all and got a Washington state ID so he wouldn't use his drivers license for anything. Well recently he went through some old paperwork he had and found a letter he failed to look twice at that was from the Oregon DMV saying he needed to surrender his license to the DMV or it would be a class C misdemeanor. I have done my best to research that, and from what I can see it is basically just fines, but he is technically on "bench probation" from his DUI so if this is another misdemeanor will be he arrested? should he just NOT try to get his license back? Or if he goes to the DMV will they still accept the license even though it has been almost 2 years? What results can I expect out of this situation?

Any help on this would be so appreciated.

Asked on 2/13/15, 12:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


First, your husband must contact Oregon DMV directly and get the correct information from an authoritative source. The answers you seek depend entirely upon the specific facts of your husband's situation. Don't rely on research that only gives you general information as all such websites do that. Once you find out what his situation is with the State of Oregon, contact an Oregon attorney or a dual licensed attorney from Washington and Oregon who practices in the areas of Oregon license matters and Criminal Traffic/DUI law and get a consultation as to what any possible outcomes will or could be and what the best course of action could be. I am not an Oregon licensed attorney but I have had many clients over 33 years in practice in Washington and this approach is the best one to get your husband the best result. You may very well have to hire an Oregon attorney if Oregon DMV knows about any court case in Oregon or if a prosecutor has already filed charges against your husband in a court in Oregon. Good Luck!.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/15, 1:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Washington