Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

I am legally separated from my spouse. I am the sole source of income, and as such, pay her spousal support, child support, and pay all of our other bills entirely. We still live in the same house and on top of paying her spousal & child support, i pay rent, utilities, car & car ins., medical- all other bills so that she contributes nothing. She has stated that it is to remain this way while she gets on her feet. Because of Covid, my wages have been slashed by over 50% and i have lost control of my ability to control my work schedule as a flight attendant.

She says she filed for legal separation in court to make all of this legal as to what i must pay her, but i have yet to see any court approved documents.

1. If nothing has been processed in court: am I legally required to pay her right now?

2. Do i need to go to court to have the amount of money i pay her reduced based upon my loss of income?

3. Would a judge ask me to give her spousal support on top of paying ALL of her living expenses? Isn’t that what spousal support is for? Shouldn’t she be chipping in for rent?

Asked on 4/18/20, 5:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Janal Rich Law Office of Janal M. Rich, pllc

You are raising some great questions. The answers depend on more information as well as if your case has actually been filed with the court.

Please feel free to schedule a consultation at

During the consultation, we will try to answer all of your questions as well as other issues.

We hope to be able to help you with your family law needs.

Law Office of Janal M. Rich

Read more
Answered on 4/18/20, 6:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington