Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Washington

I am about to spend $300 for a will and power of attorney concerning my father. (WA State). Someone told me to just have him write a living will and have it notarized and witnessed and filed at the courthouse and save $300. He has a modest home. Do you recommend the attorney route or is it just as good to do-it-yourself? and where would you file it?

Asked on 7/30/12, 10:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

As the saying goes, "Pay me now or pay me later."

One of my first cases years ago concerned a "subject to" clause in a real estate contract that had been drafted by the real estate agent who thought he knew what he was doing. A simple lawyer consultation would have saved my client a lot of attorneys fees and grief in litigation.

You should use the attorney. The price is decent. And, BTW, a will and a living will are two separate things.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/12, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Washington