Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Washington

In WA State what information within a trust is a trust beneficiary entitled legally to be given by the trustee? I''m not confident in the trustee overseeing my dad's trust after his death and I don't know what types of documentation contained in the trust (e.g. life insurance policies, annuities, bank account assets, expenses being paid,etc) that legally I am entitled for the trustee to provide to me if I request this . I've asked the trustee to provide me the contents of my dad's trust so I know what his instructions are and what I'm the beneficiary of and after 2 weeks I have been given no answer or information. Thank you

Asked on 11/30/23, 12:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dad.

Usually a beneficiary is not entitled to see the trust and examine the trust property unless the trust says so, or the judge says so. It's a tough situation. You can file papers with the court asking for oversight of the trustee, but you have to have good evidence that the trustee may be doing something wrong or is not capable. Merely saying "I am not confident" is not enough.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/01/23, 9:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Washington