Legal Question in Consumer Law in Wisconsin

we paid in advance to have lawn care done this year. The same lawncare guy missed an application last year. So this year we only paid for 3 applications in advance. The lawn care guy did the first application from last year, but did not do anymore. We have called him again and again but he will not answer our calls. He has not been here since May. What do we do?

Asked on 9/02/15, 10:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

If you cannot resolve any vendor dispute on your own, you always have the option of turning to legal remedies such as small claims court or complaints to the WI Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. However, having a lawyer right a letter to them might also assist, assuming that they are still in business. Due to the fragility of small home contractors and the frequency with which they fail, advance payments may be a bad idea, unless you put the money into an account over which you can exercise some degree of control (such as counter signatures for withdrawals), rather than giving money directly to the contractor. If the vendor goes under or cannot perform for any other reason, you are otherwise very likely to lose your money.

Answering this question does not make me your lawyer, but you can still post comments here for clarifications, etc. or contact me in person for same. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . See 15 years of past answers at, or go to . for more. Answers may contain attorney advertising materials..

Read more
Answered on 9/03/15, 1:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Wisconsin