Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Wisconsin

Got a letter from a lawyer office on a third party debt collection original creditor no longer in bussiness what do I do should I send letter of valudation

Asked on 1/27/17, 1:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

I am not familiar with the type of letter you mention, but any time that you have trouble with a collector, your first option should always be to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer. They can not only file bankruptcy for you but also negotiate with the creditor from the position of strength of a threatened chapter filing, for a discount on the claim, provided that you are able to make a lump sum payment to consummate the settlement. The fact that the original lender went out of business is irrelevant, provided that the 3rd party collector represents the current owner of the obligation, since American law allows all debt obligations to be sold and recognizes the new owner the same as the old.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else's, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others . Answering this question does not make me your attorney, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at and . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials and both questions and answers may be may also be used in attorney advertising. See also

Read more
Answered on 1/28/17, 9:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Wisconsin