Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Wisconsin

Wal-mart civil recovery question

My 11 year old son took a pack of baseball cards from Wal-mart. He was stopped at the door. The cards were returned. We offered to pay the $3.99 for the cards. They declined, they kept the cards and wrote up a report. No authorities were called. We have just recieved a letter from the ''Loss Prevention Recovery Team'' demanding ''$100 Total Civil Recovery.'' They sent along a copy of Wisconsin Statute Chapter 943.51 which states that ''exemplary damages may not exceed two times the amount.'' Shouldn't we only be required to pay $7.98?

Asked on 7/14/03, 11:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Mahoney Cassiani Law Office, Wise Shepherd Law Office

Re: Wal-mart civil recovery question

Hello, to be honest I dont know the answer to your question without doing some research. The least expensive way to to go is for you to pose that same question to WalMart. Ask them for an explanation and proof under the law as to how they came up with the 100 dollars.

Best wishes, Mark J. Mahoney

Read more
Answered on 7/18/03, 3:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Wisconsin