Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin


Hi, my name is--name removed---name removed--and I do have a very serious legal problem that has in my opinion has stopped me form getting many high paying jobs. Back in 2001 I was charged with a very serious crime robbery a felony and in 2002 after almost a year I was forced into signing a plea agreement by my public defender for attempt theft and ,disorderly conduct.

If you review my case you will see just as many others have seen NO Crime ever happened. I spent 4 months in jail in which the prosecutor recommended No jail time and probation I did not want to accept that deal but my public defender said I had to. So I did but the judge denied the prosecutor's motion and sent me to jail.

I was a security guard owned by a police officer at a local grocery store. this information is not in the court papers but I believe it had a lot to do with my arrest.

I quit the job a week before my arrest due to safety concerns for myself. The owner of the security company was very upset because he had no one to cover my shift, he expressed himself to me saying you will never..never.. never work in this city again and a week later I was arrested.

Asked on 2/21/09, 12:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Robbery Conviction Following Public Defender Plea Bargain, Effects Upon Future Employment

Once you accepted the plea bargain, you gave up all right to explain the underlying circumstances, no matter how difficult your choice may have been, to all future employers for all practical purposes. Employers are fully justified (and even legally obligated) to look no further than the fact of the conviction being on your record. These days, the fact that you were convicted is also easily available free of charge from official government records posted on teh internet and such websites are consulted by virtually all employers. If you were really not guilty, you should have gone to trial, since the jury could not have convicted you unless the prosecutor could prove each element of robbery beyond any reaononable doubt. Your only hope now is executive clemency from the governor (also known as a "pardon") or collateral attack/apppeal of the conviction. You should thereofre consult with an attorney to evaluate your chances of succes with either option. Please also be aware that my general comments in this online forum are not intended as legal advice for you unless you subsequently retain me; you therefore need to consult with your own lawyer before acting upon any other lawyer's views or comments.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/09, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin