Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

disorderly/w danger. wepon.bailjumping

I have went and pled not guilty. I do not feel im guilty of the crime the way they descibe it. i feel i should go to trial but don't reall know what to do. and if i get a public defender will they really try and work on the case or just go through it to get it done,because the have so many cases?

Asked on 2/16/09, 2:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Criminal Law, Whether or Not to Go to Trial on Disorderly Conduct with Weapon and Bailjumping

You need to make an appointment with an experienced criminal lawyer as soon as possible. Public defenders are among the most experienced and skilled criminal lawyers, however, their case loads are often very high. They may therefore have limited time to spend with their clients and their clients families answering questions and discussing options. If you can afford to hire your own attorney, this may be less of a problem. You should not rush any decisions in a criminal case, particularly the decision weather or not to go to trial. Instead, you should only make such a decision after your lawyer has fully investigated the facts, reviewed the police reports, attempted negotiations with the DA, and provided you with a recommendation. Again, a good private lawyer may have more time available for each of these activities in your case than a public one. The decision to go to trial often depends upon the offer made to your attorney by the DA; sometimes the offer is too good to refuse and sometimes it is best to go to trial. If the DA cannot convince 12 jurors that you are guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, the jury must find you not guilty. Additionally, all twelve jurors must unanimously agree on the verdict before you can be convicted; a "majority vote" for conviction is not enough and leads instead to a mistrial. Mistrials are often followed by either a dismissal or a better offer from the DA. All this being said, please be clear on the fact that I am not your attorney and my comments in this online forum are not intended as legal advice for you. Instead, you must make an appointment with me or any other experienced criminal lawyer to discuss their possible acceptance of your case. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/18/09, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin