Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

I got divorced. My ex's daughter, I did not adopt, needed to go to college. As the head of household, I signed for the student loan for her to go to college. During the divorce, it became apparent neither of the parties,( my ex or her daughter) was going to pay for the loan. "you signed for it, so you have to pay it". That what was said. Mohela is after me for the loan. They are wrecking my credit and I don't have the funds to pay this. Is there any way I can sue my ex or her daughter for this money? or atleast get the loan changed legally into their names??

Asked on 5/25/15, 3:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

You are a guarantor on the loan. That means the creditor may pursue you for payment of the loan. You can seek payment from the party who is also named as the debtor, presumably the daughter, once you are sued for the debt by adding her as a party.. Chances are both you and the debtor would be sued at the same time. However, acquiring a judgment and receiving payment are two different things.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/15, 8:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin